How to Handle Wikipedia
Without a doubt, it is efficient to use Wikipedia entries. Above all, the numerous links and source references are advantageous.
Nevertheless, a cautious approach is necessary, because Wikipedia is also very susceptible to manipulation, especially when it comes to political topics and people.
– Entries are often made by a large number of anonymous authors.
– Corrections to other authors’ contributions by administrators are not transparent.
– The Pentagon employs 27,000 people just for public relations.
Therefore, the following tips should be observed:
Wikipedia is not a scientific source in the sense of citations.
In cases of doubt, the following checks should be made:
1. What changes were made in the past (-> View history)?
2. Which users made changes and how often (with prefix “user” or “performer”)?
3. Have a look to discussions (-> Talk)
4. Does the English version differ significantly from other language versions on the same topic?
5. Use Wikipedia as startup to go to a search engine and specialized websites (-> Sources about Military Bases)
Agadez (concerning Niger Air Base 201 – checked on 8 April 2021)
The United States is building Nigerien Air Base 201, a dedicated drone airbase in Agadez from which it can more easily monitor what it calls terrorist activities in West and North Africa, and the Sahel. It was revealed in 2016 that the military base in Niger cost the U.S. $100 million.
Der Militärflugplatz, die Base aérienne 201, wurde im August 2019 mit einem Flug einer C-130J aus Ramstein eingeweiht. Hier setzen die USA seither unter anderem Drohnen ein.
(Deepl Translation: The military airfield, Base aérienne 201, was inaugurated in August 2019 with a flight of a C-130J from Ramstein. Since then, the USA has been using drones here, among other things.)